The week-long skate camp allows young people to learn about a sport traditionally dominated by boys and men. The young people are accompanied throughout the week by two skateboarding instructors who teach them the basics of the sport. Two animators are also present every day, and are responsible for animating the non-sport activities. Two one-hour workshops are offered every day, dealing with topics related to skateboarding, but also with a view to citizenship education (women’s place in society and in sports, relationships with others, making contacts, managing stress in relation to going to new places, etc.). As skateboarding is a solitary sport, we also notice that the young people who participate in the camp are generally isolated or not very socially active. The camp aims to reduce their isolation and allow them to create meaningful connections with other youth their age.
The skate camp, a great opportunity to :
- Reduce the impact of gender stereotypes in sports;
- Support youth involvement in sports and in a healthy, active lifestyle;
- To promote the participation of girls and young people in the creative genre in predominantly male sports;
- To encourage perseverance, passions and courage in young people;
- To help young people discover various places to skate in Quebec City.
Introduced in 2021, the leadership camp is a one-day camp held during spring break. Through this camp, we hope that the youth will recognize their different human and technical skills and be able to put them to good use in the different spheres of their lives. By taking part in different activities during the day, the young people have the opportunity to experience dance, theater, speaking and debating, and artistic creation. They also have the opportunity to discuss different social issues such as the place of girls and women in society, inequalities, racism, the environment, physical and mental health, etc.
The leadership camp, a great opportunity to:
- Create links with other committed young people
- Learn about the different ways to be a leader in your environment
- Developing without self-confidence
- Learn about current issues
- Valuing their life experiences
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to not miss anything.
Tel: 418 683-2155, ext. 138